Redesigning My Life

Writings on my career change and my search for a richer life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Pimentos for Mothers' Day

This is the seventh Mothers' Day since the death of my own mother, and it is still a mourning day as much as a celebrating day for me. I don't feel like I'm still actively grieving, but every now and then something will sneak up on me--usually something trivial--that reminds me of her, and I'm blindsided by a sense of loss.

Without thinking much about it, I selected a pasta salad recipe that includes pimentos for today's Mothers' Day picnic. It wasn't until I was spooning them out of the jar that I remembered my mother's story of the pimentos. When I was about five years old, The Dallas Morning News wrote a homemaker-cook-of-the-week profile about her. She didn't have much to say about cooking. Although she spent a lot of time in the kitchen, her passion was music, not cooking. She had exactly one "family recipe" to share; every other one came out of a book or magazine. The only thought she had about cooking that she considered halfway interesting was that she tried to use color to brighten up her servings, and she specifically mentioned putting pimentos on asparagus spears.

The image of my mother arranging pimentos on aparagus stuck with me because my eye for color must have come from her--no one taught me about color, so it must have come either through her genes or her example. It's also a perfect example of how she always tried to elevate the mundane with art, or at least with beauty.

So even though no one else in my family cares much for pimentos, they will be eating them in their pasta salad (or picking them out) later today. Thus are the watchwords passed from generation to generation.

2 Comments:

Blogger stitching pooh said...

Thanks for the Mothers Day wishes. I am sorry for you regarding your Mother. She must have been great leaving such an impression. I am lucky I still have my Mom. We are very close and celebrated today by having my husband and son making us all dinner. Lasagna My favorite. As a young girl I can remember not celebrating mothers day for my mom because it was pain ful for her as her mother had died on that day when I was two. Its only now that her daughters are Moms that she has come to celebrate and we can feel comfortable celebrating her as well. I read some of your other entries and they were quite interesting. Your trips and family adventures sound fun. We wound go on a camping adventure every two years as I was growing up, accross the country. I visited every state but Hawaii and Alaska. Well i'm working the night shift at the hospital and it seems everyone has gotten the stomach flu and we are very busy. So I must cut my note short. Don't hesitate to write again. thank and have a blessed day.

1:00 AM  
Blogger stitching pooh said...

I can't believe it just wrote a really nice noted and accidentally erased it. but to cut a long story short. I enjoyed reading your blog and appreciate your comments. please write again. gotta go working night shift and it seems most of my patients are getting the stomach flu. Sorry about your mom. Pimentos aren;t that bad encourage your family to try them.

1:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home